Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:51:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I know how stupid this question is but..

Richard Lyon wrote:

> Have a look at the gcc for win32 project at http://www.cygnus.com.
> This project includes a shell, utilities and compiler. With the provided
> libraries
> it is possible to port a fair number of unix programs to run under NT.
> You can also use gcc to write win32 programs.
>
> The site provides more details about ported applications.

The number of ported apps is relatively large; I have the developer's suite
of tools (i.e., the larger suite) installed on an NT box at work.  Almost
all the UNIX tools I commonly use are available, and they work well enough.
The Cygnus GNU-Win32 page (`http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32/', I believe)
has instructions on how to download the stuff.  The page also contains
pointers to other pages with ported apps; the "Virtual UNIX" link is a good
one.  GNU Emacs 19.34 and `tcsh' have been ported, as well; I use both, and
it makes working on NT almost tolerable.

Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.