Date:      Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:41:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

---559023410-417280847-1317062506=:882

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> The question of how to layout and split filesystems was discussed at the
>> filesystems working group of the devsummit at BSDCan this may.
>> (http://wiki.freebsd.org/201105DevSummit/FileSystems down to "Filesystem
>> Layout" near the bottom) =A0Though "one big root" did not garner a huge =
amount
>> of support, neither were there particularly compelling arguments against=
 it
>> (if I remember correctly). =A0It's certainly easier to write an
>> autopartitioner for, so I don't really blame Nathan for having chosen it
>> initially.
>>
> What's the point of running a vote if it's to finally not care about it ?
>
> You had got 4 people wanting to go right, 9 to go straight, 2 to go
> left, and the driver goes left.

Not at all.  Firstly, the "driver" (as you put it) was not at this=20
session, and in fact the installer was imported *before* this session, so=
=20
the "driver went left" before people were even talking about it.  (My=20
reading of the svn log is that the "one big root" was just part of the=20
initial import and not given a whole lot of thought.)
Secondly, it was not a vote; it was more of a straw poll, and no strong=20
opinions were really voiced.
Thirdly, no one was tasked with going off and telling Nathan the results=20
of it, so (since he wasn't there) I find it hard to blame him for failing=
=20
to go and scour the entire devsummit wiki to see if something relevant to=
=20
the installer might possibly have happened then.

-Ben Kaduk
---559023410-417280847-1317062506=:882--