Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Brooks <brooksj@ee.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS questions  Take two

Hello,

	My email from work is bouncing, and I need to post this.  If
the original finally gets through, I apologize for the wasted bandwidth.

Hello everyone,

I have an issue that i am not certain I am writing to the correct
list.  Thus, if there is a better list, I gladly welcome input.

Here is my conundrum:

I have 7 Linux (redhat 6.2) workstations I wish to synch up with a freebsd
3.4 box using NIS.  I have verified that both the freebsd and linux boxes
are using DES encryption, but am unable to use nis login verification.  I
have even cut and pasted the encrypted passwords from the freebsd machine
to the linux boxes for cross-reference.  shadow passwords are in use on
both types of systems.

Each workstation and server are on the same NIS domain.  when ypbind and
ypserv (respecively) are running, I am able to use the 'ypcat' and
'ypmatch' programs on the linux boxes to verify data is being
transferred. I am simply unable to do a login verification.

as another cross reference, i set up a linux box as a yp server to test
whether or not the client end was configured correctly.  it was.  I am
limited however, on doing the same with multiple freebsd boxes.

It has occurred to me that the linux and freebsd methods of dealing
with shadow passwords may differ just enough to be incompatible.  Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jason Brooks - SysAdmin / Test Engineer
Dragonfly Software Consulting