Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 10:20:22 +0100
From:      Rob <robert@irrelevant.com>
To:        George <freebsd@mutsgo.kf7nn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   internal mail servers; was: RE: natd

At 22:19 10/07/98 -0500, George wrote:
>ok that pretty much sums it up, crap...
>i was trying to get away with having to pay $3 a month for
>an extra IP address.
>
>I think we could use something like this.
>
>something that knows what machine is at what internal ip
>address and to direct traffic to each machine accordingly.
>
>maybe just a config file that lists the machine names and
>internal ip's and a program that answers requests from
>the net for these machines.
>
>what i am gatering is if there is no DNS lookup for the name then
>it will not be sent to the next higher domain for dns.
>
>like this:
>
>if someone does a mail to foo.freebsd.org the internic
>dont have a name for foo.freebsd.org so it just tells them
>that,, it doesnt send them to freebsd.org to find out
>who foo is right?

Ah now.. Mail I've had working..

When incoming connections arrive, there is no way you know what host name
was used to get the IP address, (unless you're using HTTP and ask the
client) but email is slightly different in that the untimate destination is
in the data..

You need to run two DNSs basically, a public one that everyone outside on
the internet sees, and a local one, that only your local subnet see.
You're probably doing this already, but if not, it's easily accomplished by
using your ISP or someone like granitecanyon for the external nameservers,
and your own box for the internal one.

The external DNS has A entries for all your machines all pointing at your
single external IP address, and/or an MX for  *.your.domain to that one
address.

The internal DNS has proper entries for each of your local machines, on
their local addresses.

Your gateway machine has to run a mailserver, and NOT be given authority
for the other machine; just itself.

Thus, anyone sending mail to xx@somewhere.my.domain will have it delivered
to your gateway machine because that's what the external DNS records say to
do with it. It won't want it, will look up where to send it using the
internal records, and  give it to your internal machine.

Simple.. and I managed to do it accidentally, when I first set my network up..

Rob.