Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 01:37:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        helbig@rvc1.informatik.ba-stuttgart.de (helbig)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/3924: de.spinne-1.0.1

> > > BTW, at this FTP-server there are two packages for the XView library.
> > > They are built on my machine (-current) and seem to work well in
> > > -current and FreeBSD 2.2.x. They are a prerequisite for spinne!
> >
> > Can they be built from ports?  That is to say, is this just a bug
> > in the distributed packages?
>
> I knew where the bug is, I would have fixed it! :-(

I meant *If* I knew ...

> What I do know is:
>
> The packages built from the ports on a current system will work on
> 2.2.x and on -current.
> The packages built from the ports on a 2.2.x system will neither work
> on 2.2.x nor on -current.
>
> At least thats how it looks.
>
> Wolfgang

Still didn't find out much more. I've checked out the 2.2.2 port
and rebuilt a package on my system with it ... works well!

So it's *not* the port, that is broken, but something else that
works well on -current and not so well on 2.2.x. Maybe changes in
/etc/make.conf or in /usr/share/mk... , or in XFree86, I've no idea :-(
(I am running XFree86 3.2 from late December '96)

But I think the spinne port should be installed in spite of this
"feature" of the xview-lib in 2.2.2, and the xview-problem should
be worked on on a 2.2.2 machine by someone who has more insight in
the xview-lib and the porting mechanism.

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang