Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jason@welsh.dynip.com (jason)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hiding directories on ftp server

jason wrote,
> ok, i did that , chmod /home/ftp/pub/leech   (leech is the dir I want to
> hide)
> and when i ftp in with my cruddy dos ftp client (winblows 98)
> and do a ls in the pub dir, i can see it..
> -rw-rw----  1 root   jason     3773144 May 26 02:26 Toto - Hold The
> Line.mp3
> -rw-rw----  1 root   jason     2751762 Nov 11  1998 Warrant - Cherry
> Pie.mp3
> -rw-rw----  1 root   jason     2648456 Jul 10 18:36 [Grass Roots, The]
> Let's Live For Today.mp3
> dr-xr-x--x  2 root   jason     512 Oct  9 01:33 leech        <--****
> -rw-rw----  1 root   jason     2651661 Jan 11  1999
> men_without_hats_-_safetydance.mp3
>
> any ideas?

I thought that was what you wanted. They cannot 'ls' leech, but they
can get items from it if they know the whole pathname.

There is no way to make a single file disappear from the listing of a
directory using the filesystem permissions. It may very well be
possible to do with one of your more complicated ftpd servers... If
you are willing to expose yourself to all of the security holes that
those have been revealing as of late.