Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        dbhague@allstor-sw.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stressed SCSI subsystem locks up the system

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 dbhague@allstor-sw.co.uk wrote:

> We have a system using FreeBSD 3.0 which we have been using without problems for
> many months.
>
> We have attached a SCSI RAID system, via an AHA3940 and during a stress test the
> system hangs.

  FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE is rather old, and there have been many driver
updates since then.  I use the ahc driver heavily on some FreeBSD 3.5.x
systems.

> We have tried it on FreeBSD 4.0, and 4.1 and get the same the bug.  Linux also
> has a problem when we run our test.

  Unfortunately, some new ahc driver problems have appeared in some the
4.x code.  I understand the very newest stable (via cvsup) has a newer ahc
driver.

  Or, you could just replace the Adaptec 3940 with a NCR-875 based card.
It just seems that the Adaptec cards in general are so picky.  The driver
needs to be updated for the Adaptec chipset rev-of-the-week, and still
keep working with existing cards.

> I have mailed freebsd-bugs but have not received any replies.  This is a

  I believe that freebsd-bugs is for PRs only, and no humans actually read
that list.

Tom