Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 09:27:30 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        JeffAyres@worldnet.att.net (Jeffrey J. Ayres)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blank screen after starting twm/fvwm95

> Hello,
> 	Recently I attempted installing twm and fvwm95 from version 2.2.1
> FreeBSD.  I used the same configuration as with version 2.1.5.  After
> attempting the installation with the .xsession file (file executable)
> the screen was blank, actually grey and white. The window did not
> appear.  If I click the right mouse button the twm manager appears with
> the usual commands including move, resize, delete, kill etc.  How do I
> enable the window to appear on the screen?

Did you take a look at .xsession-errors?

I would recommend to postpone your xdm setup and first get things
set up by using startx and editing .xinitrc to your needs.
As for .fvwm95 I can say that one of the most common errors is that
people don't have a .fvmw2rc95 (or whatever it is called) in their home
directory. (usually cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95-2/system.fvwm2rc95 $HOME)
When everything works as desired then copy .xinitrc to .xsession
and start xdm.