Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:59:02 +0500
From:      "Ahsan Ali" <ahsan@khi.comsats.net.pk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   antivirus, webmail and virtual domain hosting on a mail server

Hello guys,

I need to build a mailserver that will be hosting multiple mail domains -
both name based and IP based.

I want to have a seperate user/password database for each domain and ideally
host them in such a way that some are bound to the same IP and others get
individual IPs. This means that the client pop software will need to be
configured with a domain portion of the account to identify which virtual
domain the client wishes to pop for.

To this mix, I want to add virus scanning and ideally a webmail interface. I
expect to have over 20,000 accounts after adding up all domains. The main
ISP domain will probably have in excess of 18,000 accounts very soon. These
accounts will be coming over dialup ports at 56K and I expect not more than
150 users to access their mail simultaneously.

I was thinking this could be accomplished with a mix of qmail, neomail etc
but although my mail administration experience is decent, up until now I've
only worked with sendmail on linux and solaris.

So if any of you are running this sort of configuration could you please
give me some pointers to get started?

The server I am considering using is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with 1GB RAM,
P3-1.26GHz and 36GB of disk space on a RAID 5 volume. I am considerring
adding a second processor to cope with the antivirus scanning load.

All tips and comments would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

-Ahsan