Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 01:21:29 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Brian Tao <brian@luxography.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O-related panics in 6.0-RELEASE?

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:12:27AM -0400, Brian Tao wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >
> > It would be helpful (i.e. more likely to get responses) if you could
> > post a relevant extract, so people don't have to download the tarball.
>=20
>     Sorry, sure... the one kgdb output is below, and I've attached the
> dmesg.boot and kernel config files.  It's just that it appears the
> panic is in a different part of the kernel each time,, so I figured it
> would be best to include more examples.

That's often an indication that your hardware is falling apart...

> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4 #2: Tue Feb  7 18:04:40 EST 2006

> options 	SCHED_ULE		# ULE scheduler

Don't use ULE if you have stability problems, it's known to have
problems.

> options 	ADAPTIVE_GIANT		# Giant mutex is adaptive.
> options		MAC			# Mandatory Access Control support
> options 	IPFILTER_LOG		# ipfilter logging (ipmon)
> options		QUOTA			#enable disk quotas

QUOTA is broken in 6.0, try 6.1 or disable it.  Also disable bg fsck
until you can upgrade since it can deadlock or panic in 6.0.

Kris
--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--