Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:29:50 -0600
From:      "Sean Thomson" <psthomso@hotmail.com>
To:        "John-Mark Gurney" <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Issue with loading a module

Hey John,
=20
thanks for responding :)> > In working with a device driver, sometimes> > a=
fter I rebuild it and reload it, I'll get> > system log errors like> >  > >=
 'link_elf: symbol yyz undefined'> > I assume that it fails to load when yo=
u get this message? yes. The thing to note, and i probably wasn't very clea=
r,is that the module loaded initially without any problems,but in the proce=
ss of debugging, I unload it, rebuiltit and try to load it again, which it =
then fails> > > Actually, I'll  get an entry for all my > > exported symbol=
s. If I reboot, it clears> > up.> > exported from your kernel module? yes> =
> > I'm working on a stock 6.1 kernel.> >  > > Has anyone else seen this? I=
 poked around> > the mailing lists but didn't find any> > like this?> > Usu=
ally this is due to depending upon symbols that another module> exports, bu=
t not having a MODULE_DEPEND line to let one module see> the other module's=
 symbols... This particular module is not dependant on any other modules, t=
houghother modules are dependant on it. It's choking on the symbols I'mtryi=
ng to export.=20
=20
After the reboot, the module loads fine. I'm suspecting that a
symbol table is not being cleared properly, but that is only
SWAG
=20
Pat
Search from any Web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Liv=
e Toolbar Today!
http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview=