Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:01:32 -0300
From:      "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        javad.kouhi@gmail.com, freebsd-translators@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Self-introduction: Javad Kouhi

--fx5otkzimzhrnu4g

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 12:45:27PM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Javad Kouhi <javad.kouhi@gmail.com> wrote
>   in <CA+g814e5=3DipStdmvPFhPaDUprmnaOapcMb1xS9fcFNCA5Y9fQQ@mail.gmail.co=
m>:
>=20
> ja> As you definitely know, English is written from left to right, but
> ja> Persian and other Middle Eastern Languages such as Arabic and Hebrew
> ja> are written from right to left. Since the Handbook is a technical book
> ja> and it contains a lot of untranslatable words (variable names,
> ja> keywords, etc), intermixing Persian and English is inevitable. So, is
> ja> there any support for RTL languages? If no, how could I help with
> ja> that?
>=20
>  DocBook XML technically supports RTL.
>=20

Weblate supports RTL.
https://weblate.org/en/news/archive/rtl-languages-support/

> ja> To make matters worse, there are also XML tags, which could make the
> ja> code pretty ugly in RTL languages. Tags are not shown correctly (not
> ja> only the user sees something like >/tag< instead of </tag>, but also
> ja> they are misplaced in the source code).  I've seen similar problems in
> ja> other projects such as Wikipedia. The solution they have adopted is to
> ja> translate the tags themselves, this way, the tags are shown correctly
> ja> in the source code, making it much easier for others to change the
> ja> code. So, is there a way to translate the tags?
>=20
>  Does "translating tags" mean replacing the tag name of <foo> with
>  Parisian counterpart in RTL, or the whole tag including <> in RTL?
>=20
>  While it is possible to create a preprocessing XSLT to convert them
>  back to corresponding DocBook tags, I think it is more realistic to
>  keep XML files in LTR as the English versions do, and translate
>  sentences in RTL by adding dir=3D"rtl" attribute to the XML tags
>  because most of XML toolchains cannot handle tags and attributes in
>  RTL.  I am not sure if this is comfortable for RTL language users
>  like you, however.
>=20
>  Could you show a typical HTML file in UTF-8 Persian?  I would like to
>  know what tags look like.

I would like to see some examples as well.

Persian was already marked as RTL on Weblate.

Above the translation field, there is that virtual keyboard with options
for RTL, probably those options can be useful:
https://people.freebsd.org/~dbaio/weblate/2020-03-31-093250_1004x647_scrot.=
png
https://people.freebsd.org/~dbaio/weblate/2020-03-31-093318_1001x613_scrot.=
png

The UI is doing something because the string is saved differently in the
repository:
https://people.freebsd.org/~dbaio/weblate/2020-03-31-093415_747x699_scrot.p=
ng

I've built these initial translations you made, without any
modification, see the results here:
https://dbaio.bs2cloud.com.br/doc/fa01/fa_FA.UTF-8/books/handbook/

If this is good, I can go forward and add a Jenkins job to build it regular=
ly.

--=20
Danilo G. Baio (dbaio)

--fx5otkzimzhrnu4g