Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:47:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jpr@vcnet.com (Jon Rust)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exports question

Jon Rust wrote,
> What is it abouting posting a message to a list that allows you to
> find the answer immediately after?
>
> The short version is: since /usr/src and /usr/obj are on the same
> filesystem (/usr), mountd is confused about what I want to do. The
> solution is to export /usr with the -alldirs flag. Not optimal, but
> it'll work.
>
> Sorry for the waste of list b/w,
> Jon
>
> At 4:52 PM -0800 12/10/99, I wrote:
> >From the exports man page:
> >
> >  BUGS
> >     The export options are tied to the local mount points in the kernel and
> >     must be non-contradictory for any exported subdirectory of the local
> >     server mount point.  It is recommended that all exported directories
> >     within the same server filesystem be specified on adjacent lines going
> >     down the tree.
> >
> >I don't understand, but I think this is what's getting me. I'm
> >trying to export /usr/src and /usr/obj, but mountd coughs up this
> >error:
> >
> >  Dec 10 16:28:52 rhap mountd[72605]: can't change attributes for /usr/obj
> >  Dec 10 16:28:52 rhap mountd[72605]: bad exports list line /usr/obj -maproot
> >
> >This is based on an export file that looks like this:
> >
> >  /usr/src -maproot=0
> >  /usr/obj -maproot=0
> >
> >/usr/src exported fine and is mountable on other systems. I can
> >change it to just export /usr, but that's not exactly what I want.
> >
> >Thanks for some clarification, help, whacks with a clue-by-four.
> >
> >jon

This comes up all of the time, but people still seem to get it
wrong. From the exports(5) manpage,

                                       "A host may be specified only once for
     each local filesystem on the server and there may be only one default en-
     try for each server filesystem that applies to all other hosts."

The original poster had made two default entries for the /usr
filesystem. This is not allowed.

You are _not_ forced to use the -alldirs option however. This,

    /usr/src /usr/obj -maproot=0

Is a perfectly valid exports specification. It will do what you want.