Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 17:46:52 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   warning concerning a public proxy [was Re: network scan?]

At 05:09 PM 5/15/1999 , Wes Peters wrote:
>An anonymous gateway service to sites like cnn.com and abcnews.com
>might go a long way to helping some of these people.  I don't have
>the connectivity (yet), but I may have soon; TCI will finally get
>digital cable to me day after tomorrow, and @Home shouldn't be too
>far away.
>
>Can anyone else throw up a "public proxy" on a standalone machine?

Applause for your noble intentions, but the @Home AUP ( www.home.net/aup/ )
prohibits running services for other people (and in some cases, for
yourself). Web server, email servers, FTP servers, and IP tunneling are
expressly prohibited.

I'm not saying it's impossible to run a server off @Home. It's just that if
you do, you have to be careful not to attract too much attention. If your
public proxy is suddenly eating up all of your neighborhood's bandwidth
(and it will eat it up because upload bandwidth is considerably lower than
download, and once word of a public proxy like yours gets out, it will be
used heavily), @Home will be sure to notice.

Setting up a public proxy might feel real good, but it won't any more after
@Home cancels your account.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441