Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:06:32 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>, David Wilson <davew@sai.co.za>
Subject:   Re: Filtering connections to ftpd by mac address ?

At 04:59 PM 02/21/2001, Colin Campbell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Filtering on MAC address is very restricted. You can only do machines on
>the same network segment. After that all you see is the router's MAC
>address.
>
>Colin

This is a somewhat short-sighted view of the world with today's multitude
of "bridged" environments.

for example, DSL and wireless links are usually bridged, so your customers
MAC addresses are appearing on your network. Many of the customers for our
ET/BWMGR for freebsd, which allows filtering and bandwidth management by
MAC address, use our product to:

1) Only allow specific MAC address access to the network or service
2) Only allow specific devices access to an internal server
3) Control traffic by MAC address. This works nicely whether you are
controller the customers router/proxy  and there are many workstations
behind it, or whether they have individual machines and you are using DHCP
to allocate addresses.
4) Keep track of how much traffic each MAC address/customers uses

for info, see www.etinc.com

regards,

Dennis Baasch