Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:32:34 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron hard disk

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:23:35AM -0500, Tuc said:

> > It can be quite distracting when you're trying to
> > concentrate on something but you have what sounds like a hair dryer blowing
> > constantly in the background. :>
> >
> 	Whoa, are you SURE thats the hard drive? When mine goes into
> "hair dryer" mode its because the 2 fans on the right back side spin up to
> cool the machine down. I've found certain surfaces I put it on make it do
> that, and , get this, it won't stop if for some reason I go into APM, then
> out.

I've been really disappointed with my Inspiron on a number of levels, and
this is one of them (reported by a couple of friends as well): eventually
the machine just feels it needs to have the fans running all the time. I
consider it part of natural Inspiron degradation at this point.

(other symptoms on my machine being that PgUp/PgDn no longer work, the
brightness control no longer works, and the battery won't last more than 5
minutes, if that. it's made me so grateful for my Thinkpad 600E, which is
about half the speed but is not crappy. :-))

chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne