Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:50:17 +0000
From:      John McDonnell <mcdonnjd@pcam.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: POS system trashing hard drives during install

I had a thought and realized that the hard drives I had tried using on the =
POS all were drives from Windows machines, and maybe one that was blank, an=
d the POS had no trouble POSTing with those drives. It wasn't until after r=
ebooting with FreeBSD installed on the drive that the machine will no longe=
r POST. So, there couldn't be something specific to the drive in the system=
 itself as it has no trouble with other drives until FreeBSD is actually in=
stalled.

I took this to mean that there shouldn't be something specific on the drive=
 to prevent it from POSTing. For a test, I have a network bootable copy of =
Xubuntu 12.0 sitting on my PXE server that I just installed to the POS syst=
em. It made it through POST and booted from the drive with no problem. So, =
I really don't think it is something to do with dpecial information stored =
to the drive itself. About the only other thing I can think of trying in or=
der to get FBSD working on the POS is doing an old "dangerously dedicated" =
mode install and see if the machine likes that better. But I think I need t=
o find an older install disk somewhere for that, or find instructions onlin=
e somewhere on how to do it manually. I've never had an issue where I felt =
the need to try that style of install.

If nothing else, I should at least be able to get a version of Linux runnin=
g on the machine, which will be an improvement over XP, but not as nice as =
running FreeBSD. (Though if I can't get the touchscreen running, it'll be b=
ack to XP. I'm betting it is fairly simple to get done, I was just surprise=
d it didn't work out of the box since I believe it's an old serial connecte=
d touchscreen. I'll look into it after I exhaust my options of getting Free=
BSD installed.)

--=20
John McDonnell
Penn Cambria School District