Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:32:47 -0300
From:      Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        bapt@freebsd.org, ports-committers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, Frederic Culot <culot@freebsd.org>, Pietro Cerutti <gahr@freebsd.org>, cvs-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/games/8kingdoms Makefile ports/misc/airoflash Makefile ports/graphics/autopano-sift Makefile ports/x11/avant-window-navigator-xfce4 Makefile ports/lang/boo Makefile ports/x11/cl-clx-sbcl Makefile ports/palm/coldsync ...

2012/4/10 Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 01:45:38PM +0200, Frederic Culot wrote:
> > To conciliate such a necessary action without hurting the feelings of
> those
> > maintainers who despite their work could not update the state of their
> port in a
> > timely manner, maybe it would be good to be more verbose in the log of
> such
> > commits. Inspired by linimon's emails, something like the following
> could be
> > added:
>
> I do get some responses from maintainers to those emails, and (except
> in the cases where the email gets stuck in my mbox) I honor their requests
> for an extension.  OTOH in general I get personal replies and not replies
> to the list, so people aren't seeing that interaction in public.
>
> From my standpoint, by the time something has been broken for 6 months,
> the maintainer will have already gotten multiple emails from portsmon.
> So, I'm going to have to say I'm a little frustrated if I need to send
> another round of mail even on top of that.

I strongly agree with the bapt's action to set some ports that are often
broken  to deprecated or even some of them that are broken for a long time
to deprecated.

There is nothing more frustrating than try to install a port an it doesn't
fetch or doesn't build.

Also to avoid some problems with fetch, we can use public distfile or even
mirror the tarball/zipball(or whatever it is) in a fashion way.

And in my opinion a bunch of new emails with some warnings could be useful
just in the beggining, after while those ports maybe will have still
problem to be fetch. Maybe something that might work would be something
quite similar like the QAT provided by itetcu a long time ago, send some
message to the developers@ list and wait for someone to fix that.

Best Regards,
--
Marcelo Araujo