Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:57:00 -0500 (GMT)
From:      Sean Welch <welchsm@earthlink.net>
To:        djb@cr.yp.to
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my thinkpad t40 experiences

I read your notes with some interest as this laptop caught my eye
when I saw some specs online at its introduction.

I had a couple of suggestions.

You have the same graphics card I upgraded my Dell I8000 to.  Try
adding option agp_load="YES" to your /boot/loader.conf and the
following line(s) to your XF86Config under the Driver "radeon"
(or ati if that is what you put):

  Option     "AGPMode" "4"
  Option     "AGPFastWrite" "1"
  Option     "EnablePageflip"

The AGP should help your video playback.  As will enabling SSE
in the kernel.

If you don't know, you can enable DRM in the XF86Config file with
these lines:

Section "DRI"
     Mode 0666
EndSection

Make sure you also have the following under Section "Module":

Load "dri"
Load "glx"
Load "drm"

All you need after that is the radeon.ko file up in /modules to
get DRI up and running.  You can either do this using the
directions at http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/
or you can install the drm-kmod port (tad out of date but it will
work).  You will probably also want to make sure that the Mesa
port is installed to take full advantage of GL type programs.

By the way, radeon DRI doesn't like suspend/resume cycles.  DRI
won't run without AGP so I strongly suspect that is why your
linux_without_agp handles that better.  The same is true for
FreeBSD.  You can disable it by simply commenting out the modules
lines with "dri" and "drm" in them.

Have you tried switching to a vtty before suspending after
starting up X?  This often helps with resume problems...

Have you tried loading the wireless driver as a kernel module?
You may find that you could arrange to unload the module before
suspending and then reload it after resuming.  It is quite
possible this would work for you.  This is in fact how I handle
my mini-pci lucent modem.

I'll leave you with one last note.  The firewire stuff in
FreeBSD is working quite well under 4.8 -- you might want to try
it.

                                                         Sean