Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:28:23 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

>I don't know if the Solaris in question is 2.7 or not; I know SunOS
>(BSD4.3 derived) used different names, but most Sun machines rendered
>this to "le0", "le1", ... "leN", due to the "wide availability" of
>non-Lance based cards.

My direct experience is with 2.5.1 and 2.6 but I know of no reason for
7 or 8 to be different. I mentioned le and hme already but there's
also a different interface name for fddi and cddi, and ISTR some odd
sparc clone which had yet another interface type. Sorry, I've lost the
specific details in the mists of time :-)

>I know that FreeBSD's semirandom naming caused me problems, when
>software that needed to be deployed on more rational systems
>contained shell scrips for getting the current IP address, which
>failed on FreeBSD, and the person who hacked them up for FreeBSD
>ended up temporarily breaking the deployment platform (out of the
>two, the deployment platform was a hell of a lot more important,
>since it could impact real customers).

You'll lose for a far more basic reason than that. Solaris and Linux
have a completely different way of aliasing interfaces than FreeBSD,
and the output from ifconfig is amusingly variable across platforms.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y    dot@dotat.at