Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:50:08 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting DEC Alpha after install....

> but the current problem is that when I do a boot dka0 at the srm
> console, it boots into single user mode. How do I get it to boot
> normally?

[first, please break your message into <80 column lines.  This is a Unix
mailing list, please do not depend on something else to do it for you.]

There is a NetBSD document that covers this nicely:

How do I get it to (not to) automatically boot multi-user? (top)

There are two non-volatile SRM environment variables that affect the
automatically initiated console actions.

  BOOT_OSFLAGS
        If set to A or a, BSD will automatically proceed from single-user
        to multi-user state. This can be overwritten with the -fl option
        to the console boot command.  This is for compatability with
        Digital Unix.
  AUTO_ACTION
        This tells SRM what to do when it gets control. Your choices here
        are BOOT or HALT. The HALT case gets you the >>> prompt.
  BOOTDEF_DEV
        This tells SRM which device to boot from. show config can show
        you what your choices are. To tell it to boot from floppy, for
        example, you would say set bootdef_dev dva0.

  Examples:

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)