Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 97 15:08:18 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-GAMMA (latest) page fault while in kernel mode

bde@zeta.org.au writes:
> >this may well be. I know I changed it to set the prompt to "(kgdb)" if
> >-k was specified, but I'm pretty sure that the hack to check for
> >argv[0]==kgdb was left out of 4.16. This would be trivial to put back
> >in, if it's considered worthwhile. If this is done then the Makefile
> >should also delete any kgdb that's present and make it a link to gdb
> >(if it doesn't do that already. I don't have FreeBSD box here to check).
>
> gdb hasn't been linked to kgdb since prehistoric times, if ever.
> History begins almost 3 years ago with rev.1.1 of gdb/gdb/Makefile
> on 1994/06/10.  There seem to be no links in gdb's Attics either.
> It's hard to tell, because grep gives about 500 useless hits on
> kgdb in spammed log messages.

ah well, then I imagine that people have been doing it for themselves.
Seems to me that, if the name kgdb is handled magically, then we should
produce the link automatically when gdb is installed.

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org