Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 09:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve Doty <sdoty@jaxx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internet Connection Speed - Followup

--- Steve Doty <sdoty@jaxx.net> wrote:
> > FreeBSD-4.0 Current
> Hmm I have not installed the 4.0 yet, still
> working with 3.2. You might be
> right and there is something up with this new
> version.
> Dunno.

Well, I have tried this pathway before, and
decided not to go there anymore, the only logical
answer I'll get if I complain about the version,
everyone wil say ok, don't run 4.0-current its
for developers, and I really want to be -current,
if you know what I mean, although got hit
SEVERLY, some 4 months back, and ALL the hard
disks got fucked up because of some problems
during saving into the filesystems, I did not
complain to anyone, I swallowed my mysery, forgot
about TONS of software that were lost after very
long downloads, and reformatted about 15 Gigs,
patiently, quit using FreeBSD for few months,
then reinstalled version 3.1 -RELEASE, and at
that momnet there was a very stupid thing, the
machine swore NOT to connect AT ALL to the net,
always giving me very CRAZY error "All received
bytes had 7th bit unset" so I figured the system
really is angry, so I decided to put up BACK my
Free BSD 4.0 -current, same one suspected to have
caused Major loss of data, Oh I forgot very
important thing to say, that FreeBSD have some
problems with writing "or burning" (according to
your personal aggressiveness) on HP 8100 CD
writer, so I could not save my data really, and I
was hit real hard, but you know we always like to
keep fighting in this life aint we.

>  Try running the pppd connection with out the
> x-windows. You can do that by
> making a file called
> /etc/ppp/myisp.chat
> and put this in it
> ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" ATZM1L3 OK
> ATDT1119999 CONNECT "" TIMEOUT
> 10 ogin: mylogin TIMEOUT 5 word: mypass

ok, created the file, and I'll try soooon and
I'll get back to you.
thanks for the suggestion.

> replace the 1119999 with your isp's phone
> number and the mylogin,mypass with
> your login info. The above should be one line
> in the myisp.chat file.
>
> Now make another file
> /etc/ppp/options
> and put this in it
> # pppd options
> /dev/cuaa1 57600
> debug
> crtscts
> modem
> connect "/usr/bin/chat -e -v -f
> /etc/ppp/myisp.chat"
> persist
> domain levee.jaxx.net
> 216.24.145.225:
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> defaultroute

ok, done that.

> You will need to replace the ip info for your
> isp. Is you don't have a
> static ip replace the 216.24.145.225 with
> 0.0.0.0
> Now at this point you should be able to type
> just 'pppd' on the command
> line. And it should dialout.
> I liked using the pppd over the ppp stuff
> because I though I got a better
> connection..
>
> Hope this helps.. If you have problems with the
> pppd stuff just email me
> back. With the errors you are getting.

I certainly hope so, and thank you very much,
will tell you the result of this test, and if its
KDE, I think I'll continue using it anyways, cuz
I LOVE it.

Oh, and by the way, steve you're a real PAL.

=====
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.