Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:40:44 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Armstrong <siberian@siberian.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Search engine on website

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 01:31:54AM -0700, John Armstrong wrote:
> Am I the only one who is pretty annoyed at the online search engine
> at www.freebsd.org? It works great but it returns URL's rather then
> the document titles that it is searching. This makes it especially
> hard for newbies to find the data they are looking for as they have
> to page through tons of results to syphon out the data they want.

You're not the only one, there's a PR been mentioned about this as well.

> 1) Is there a reason it is like this?

That's how the software does it.  No one's gotten around to fixing it.

> 2) If the reason is 'no one has gotten around to it' how can I help?

  1.  Download the website CVS source repository, using CVSup or CTM.

  2.  Get comfortable building a local copy of the FreeBSD website on your
      machine using this source code.

  3.  Pick up swish (I've used it before myself, it's a good choice),
      and come up with a configuration file that can be used to index
      the FreeBSD site -- swish is in the ports tree, so this should
      work well.

  4.  Get it working.

  5.  Submit diffs using send-pr(1).  Bug me until I (or Wolfram) install
      it and get it working.

I've been a little hazy on some of the details up there, but that's because
I don't want to write a(nother) 300 line e-mail.  If you need more
specific information though, let me now.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>