Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:14:23 -0500
From:      "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AC power fail scenarios; HOWTO?

Hello,

in a few days I'll hook up my FreeBSD (RELENG_4_5) to a UPS (maybe using nut
or something.) Now, I have this question/scenario, which I'd like to
validate?:

1. AC power fails
2. The power daemon detects this and signals a shutdown in,
   say, 15 minutes unless the power is restored.

Now come the variable scenarios.

Variant A:

3a. Within 15 minutes the power is restored to the UPS.
4a. The power daemon detects this and cancels the shutdown.
5a. Life is good.

Variant B:

3b. Power is never restored within 15 minutes.
4b. Shutdown proceeds as planned.
5b. Life is good, but not as before ;)

Variant C (and the one that worries me):

3c. Power is never restored within 15 minutes.
4c. Shutdown proceeds as planned.
5c. Before the UPS' battery is depleted, power is
    restored.
6c. The FreeBSD server will stay in "press any key to
    reboot" state indefinitely (or until someone
    lights up and press the key.)

I don't really know if the above is correct, but, how do you guys
solve/manage/cope with the power problems?

Best regards,
Jon.