Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Victoria Welch <vikki@oz.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello and FYI:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Victoria Welch wrote:

> Some places have 10+ nicks camped out in the channel, but never
> respond.  Sigh.  In terms of advocacy or help they are pretty
> discouraging, taking them off your faq might do you more good than
> listing them.  I've tried every IRC network that comes with Pirch (uggy
> whinedoz app for IRC) and I can only write that time off as wasted :(.
> If one is going to hang out on a channel then, IMO, they should
> participate to some small degree...

efnet? I seem to recall that is where most talkative folks hang.

As a point of reference, the FreeBSD community doesn't consider IRC to be
a channel for support. This mailng list is the primary channel for
support. There are advantages that may not seem obvious at first.

The real big one is that it is a single point source for the world.  It is
easy to find. (There are non-english lists too, but just one for each
language as I understand things.)

You have access to a pretty solid group of question answerers regardless
of whether you and the answerer happen to be on the same channel at the
same time. Your answerer is there 24-7.

This one is HUGE. Everything on this list gets archived. There is a
huge compendium of knowlegde available by a searchable archive at the
website.

> Still haven't given up on BSD and the the FreeBSD is starting to look
> like the best of the lot.  Someone gave me an OpenBSD ROM and that
> seemed pretty dark ages stuff.  Good security is cool and important but
> it sure seems to be limited as to what it will run.  Oh well, much to
> learn :-).

> Hope this helps in some way!

You have it backward. We are helping you. :) Hang with the community for
bit and learn what we are about. You might find that there is a very solid
rhyme and reason to the way we do it in BSD land.

Also, contrary to what another said, you do not have to subscribe here to
ask questions. Be sure to ask folks to CC you directly though.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells

P.S. I have used linux quite a bit too.