Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 10:59:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stephen Cimarelli <stephen@clari.net.au>
Cc:        Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>, Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, Jonathan Fortin <jfortin@akalink.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Raid (BEST PERFORMANCE)

On Friday, 18 May 2001 at 10:39:33 +1000, Stephen Cimarelli wrote:
> On 17-May-01 Marcus Reid wrote:

>>> I've heard people make this kind of claim.  I can't understand what
>>> the difference is supposed to be.  Can you justify it?
>>
>> It's something that I read on the qmail list; people were talking about
>> the best RAID scheme to use for a very high-volume mail server. I don't
>> have anything to offer from personal experience. I'm assembling a new mail
>> machine very soon and have to select which level of RAID to use, so I'd
>> be interested to hear if there's any truth behind it.
>
> Raid levels has seen by Mylex
              as?

> Level 0+1  Combines Daid 0 striping and Raid1 mirroring
>
> Level 10  Combines  raid0 striping and Raid 1 mirroring spanned across multiple
> drive groups

Hmm.  Without defining "drive group", this doesn't say very much.

> level 30  Combines Raid 0 and raid 3 across multiple drive groups

I very much doubt that Mylex implements RAID-3.  I suspect they mean
RAID-4.  RAID-3 is at sub-sector level.

> Level 50 Combines Raid 0 and raid 5 across multiple drive groups

I wonder how they envisage RAID-5 without striping.

> is there some offical body that decided on what level 10,30,50 are,
> or do companys make up there own

I think many companies make up their own.  I've never heard of 30 or
50.  I suspect that the distinction between "0+1" and "10" is bogus,
though I'm open to further documentation.

Greg