Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:48:28 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI 3D Rage Mobility-M1 on a Sony FXA59

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

Well, after several days of thrashing around and nearly clawing my own
eyes out I finally found a configuration that works, only with Xfree86
3.3.6 but at least it works.

I'll include the config here for archival's sake and maybe someone else
won't have to bang their head against the wall like I did :)

Here's the relevant bits:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "My Monitor"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    ModelName   "Unknown"
    HorizSync   31.5-100
    VertRefresh 50-100
    Modeline "1400x1050" 155.00 1400 1464 1784 1912 1050 1052 1064 1090 -HS=
ync -VSync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "My Video Card"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    8192
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1400x1050"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 04:18:56PM -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:
> I recently got a new laptop, issued from my employer. It's a Sony
> PCG-FXA59. Quite a nice and fast laptop, except for the problems I've
> had with X over the past two days.
>=20
> Basicly, I can't get any usable X session to start up. The best I can
> manage when running 'X' is a screen with a tiny white window in the upper=
=20
> left hand corner and a background that looks like it's trying to be the
> standard graphic-less X background, only instead of tiny black/white
> checked squares, they're thin vertical rectangles. (if that makes any
> sense)
>=20
> I've searched google and both the freebsd and xfree86 mail archives for
> info on this particular model without any luck. There is a scattering
> of info on other laptops with ATI Mobility chips and 15" SXGA screens=20
> rated at 1400x1050 and I've tried out their Modeline, HorizSync and
> VertRefresh settings with very little change.=20
>=20
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated. A bottle of your favorite
> poison shipped directly to anyone that can help me get this solved.
>=20
> The dmesg, XF86Config, XFree86.0.log and a picture of the screen I descri=
bed
> above can be found at http://dub.net/ati/
>=20
> -Bill
>=20
> --=20
> -=3D| Bill Swingle - <unfurl@(dub.net|freebsd.org)>
> -=3D| Every message PGP signed
> -=3D| Fingerprint: C1E3 49D1 EFC9 3EE0 EA6E  6414 5200 1C95 8E09 0223
> -=3D| "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" Pablo Picas=
so=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=20
-=3D| Bill Swingle - <unfurl@(dub.net|freebsd.org)>
-=3D| Every message PGP signed
-=3D| Fingerprint: C1E3 49D1 EFC9 3EE0 EA6E  6414 5200 1C95 8E09 0223
-=3D| "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" Pablo Picasso=
=20

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--