Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:44:29 +0100
From:      Alex <FreeBSD@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        "shancecgol S Yorgen" <shancecgol@edsamail.com.ph>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to configure 2 lancards...

Hello shancecgol,

sSY> I setup my freebsd yeterday w/ 1 ISA 3com 3c509 lan card, when i did an ifconfig i saw that the device name "ep0" was there w/ my assigned ip_address. No, problem there, but now i want this box
sSY> to act as a gateway, so i installed a new lan card, still the same, an ISA 3com 3c509. I booted my system and i cant directly configure my 2nd nic through

sSY> "ifconfig ep1 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0... up",
sSY> now i went to recompile my kernel and search of the nic, and saw an entry...:

sSY>     #ISA ETHERNET NICs.
sSY>     device          ep

sSY> im not sure how to configure the kernel to detect my 2nd lancard, should put..

sSY>     #ISA ETHERNET NICs.
sSY>     device          ep0
sSY>     device          ep1     at isa?  port 0x300 irq 9

sSY> ... is this right? or should i just leave it to the default "device ep", and it would detect my 2 lancard... if not, then what should i put in the kernel, what else do i need to configure to
sSY> make this work...

sSY> thanx in advance!!!

Im not 100% sure about this. I think the 'device ep' in your kernel
files says compile the code for all NIC of type ep.

I would try to setup the second card at the rc.conf. Reboot and see if
you can use it. Ifconfig only set up your NIC up for the session. As
soon as you reboot its gone.

--
Best regards,
 Alex