Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:41:37 -0000
From:      "+ +" <uvatha@my-dejanews.com>
To:        unix-athome@legba.Corp.Sun.COM
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable modem gateway w/ freebsd

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:36:26   Jay J Olson wrote:
>You didn't say if you were running IPmasq, NAT or something similar. If
>not, it won't work. Packets from your host on the 10.0.0.0 network will
>be routed just fine to any host on the Internet, but the responses will
>never find their way back. The 10.0.0.0 network is reserved for internal
>networks, and no hosts or routers on the Internet will route to this
>network.

Actually I'm not too sure what I'm running (how do I check?) but I must have *some* sort of IP masquerading running, since this setup (using 10.0.0.0 locally but accessing the internet through the bsd gateway) was the exact same one that I used when I had the bsd box as a normal modem gateway.  The only difference now is that it's two NICs (one to the internal network and one to the cable modem) rather than a single NIC (to the internal network) and a phone modem (ppp via tun0).

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums