Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 23:46:37 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        denis <denis@actcom.co.il>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamically Allocatable Name Service (DANS)

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Mattias Pantzare wrote:

> > > I want to write a name server with dynamical updates and all
> > > binary database. (Actually I'm writing it) I know, that there is
> > > dynamical updates support in the existing BIND distribution, but
> > > it seems to me like fixing a rocket motor to the bike.
> >
> > What binary database has enough performance to handle names on the
> > Internet?  I don't think even db will do.
>
> And textfiles would be faster?? It is a lot faster with a binary
> database. Imagine rewriting the textfile every time a change is made.

Who said anything about textfiles?  The author claims that his work is a
rocket and BIND is a bike.  I want to know why?

I'd like to hear how he plans to handle servicing dynamic updates and name
requests with the performance required.  BIND once initialized operates
entirely in RAM and the service has high performance requirements that are
hard to meet even with a static database.

I'm not trying to discourage the author, BIG claims just need to backed
up with more substance.