Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:05:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gordon Vrololjak <gvrdolja@nature.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating question (fwd)

Thanks for the help Kevin,
>From the handbook they give a lot of warnings about backing up the system,
checking /etc/groups for discrepencies, etc... makes me sort  of worried
about losing everything including the kernel I recompiled for the sytem
after doing a make world.

I was wondering too, why the commands mentioned in the handbook don't work
for me?

ie: from handbook:
The solution is to examine /usr/src/etc/group and compare its list of
groups with your own. If there are any groups in the new file that are not
in your file then copy them over. Similarly, you should rename any groups
in /etc/group which have the same GID but a different name to those in
/usr/src/etc/group.

... but I find I don't have /usr/src/etc/group

Thanks, Gordon

Gordon Ante Vrdoljak                           	      Electron Microscope Lab
ICQ 23243541   http://nature.berkeley.edu/~gvrdolja   26 Giannini Hall
gvrdolja@nature.berkeley.edu                          UC Berkeley
phone (510) 642-2085                                  Berkeley CA 94720-3330
fax   (510) 643-6207 cell (510) 290-6793