Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:37:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
To:        mm@i.cz
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switch vs bridge (fwd)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 Martin Machacek wrote:
> Layer 4 switch is a pure marketing bullshit.

If I understand layer 4 switches correctly, they switch
at the tcp/udp port number layer.  I could therefore slip
a layer 4 switch between my router and my lan, and program
it to redirect all incoming 25/tcp smtp connections to a
mail filter host.  I find that rather useful.  I'm sure
some folks use them for 80/tcp http redirection for web
caching.  Aren't these useful applicatons?

I realize routers can be programmed to do this but who wants
to load down (or misconfigure) the router for this chore.
A dual-homed unix box such as FreeBSD can also do this using
redirection in packet filtering but that usually requires
splitting the network into 2 IP networks (yes i've heard
of dummynet/bridge but that is work in progress). I think
a network appliance like a layer 4 switch would be the right
tool for the job.

Mike