Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 05:05:03 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Stanislav Posonsky <posonsky@iname.ru>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About The Symbolism

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 02:03:52PM +0800, Stanislav Posonsky scribbled:
|       Can anyone give me an answer to my question why an impish creature is an
| emblem of FreeBSD? And concerning the watchword `FreeBSD: The Power to
| Serve`, what power is implied?

The ability to be a server platform outperforming many many OS'es

| peoples! At the same time as an Orthodox believer I cannot and should not
| use it because of  such an ambiguous (or may be not ambiguous?) symbolism.

It is not religious, the projected demon image as a red guy with horns
is only propagated since the 19th Century.

|       I think that the present state of things may present a serious obstacle to
| a wider spread of FreeBSD in countries traditionally professing
| Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

No, the image of the demon in religious studies has shown that
they are not red with horns.   (This is from me as a history minor who has
taken numerous comparative religious history courses.)

Islam does not have a "demon" as you mention.

|       FreeBSD just like any other Unix OS is first of all a multi-user OS aiming
| at being used by people of many nationalities, language groups and religious

By being a good OS, it is a good OS, and people will use a good OS.

|       Is it may be  worth giving up this devilry in favour of a more neutral
| symbolism?

No, he is fine the way it is.