Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:40:44 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directory and file comparison tool for X?

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 20:56:17 +1000 (EST)
Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 137, Issue 55
>
> Hi Beto,
>
> (offlist as it's just a silly answer, not one for X)

Hey Ian,
thx, not a silly answer at all

>  > I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to compare directories
>  > (recursively) showing what files are different,etc. meld ( textproc/meld )
>  > can do this to some extent, showing missing files,etc, but not showing
>  > what files are different withoug having to open each file and do a diff.
>
> Well of course 'diff -r dir1 dir2 | less' does that well in an xterm :)

yeah, but it's just way too verbose. something that allows very quick
determination of differences / missing files, transfer them from one tree to
another,etc. Specially for LARGE trees.

> But I guess you're after a more pointy clicky solution :)

not because of point+click per se, but yes for faster overview of things.

> Cheers, Ian
>
> just checking for myself ..

 [...]

> % diff bittorrent/ bittorrent2/
> diff bittorrent/differingfile bittorrent2/differingfile
> 1,2c1,3
> < this one in bittorrent dir

yeah.. i tried this with 2 src trees with over 1.2 K  files each... it was way
too much to digest quickly :D

thx :)