Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Chris Phillips <chris@selkie.org>
Cc:        DAve Goodrich <dave@pixelhammer.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Primitive tools

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Chris Phillips wrote:

> Primitive?  I think that is perhaps the wrong choice of
> words.  Basic?  lynx certainly is.  vi basic?  I think not.  I use both
> tools regularily.  What happens when you need to look at apache's
> server-status and there is no GUI available?  I certainly wouldn't want to
> run X on a production server just to be able to look at needed
> information.  In my opinion vi is the most powerful editor out
> there.  Emacs is a close second.  Not sure what you see in joe.

While I hate vi, I agree that it should be part of the system base, though
I don't object to also having a more user friendly editor (ee, or jed
configured properly (yes, I'm working on updating the jed port).  Used to
use joe, but I can't remember if it would go as far towards user
friendlyness as the latest jed).

At least I've stopped wishing for a unix version of DME :-)