Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:35:34 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael E Mercer <mmercer@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: three questions regarding hard drives...

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On 2002-01-21 18:06:56, Michael E Mercer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking of buying an 80 G HD to replace the two 8 G HDs that
> I am using for Freebsd.
>
> First question: Is 80 too big for FreeBSD? Should I use a smaller
> HD? What is the maximum size for a HD that FreeBSD can use? OK OK,
> three questions in one, but anyone that has taken a physics test
> should be used to this. :P

I'm using for more than 1.5 year now a pair of 45 Gb disks, and
FreeBSD works like a charm with them.  There are limits to the maximum
filesystem that UFS (the default BSD filesystem) can use, but they're
set way up higher, in the TeraByte part of the world, IIRC.

> Second question: What is your recommendation for partitioning? I
> know this is entirely a personal opinion, however maybe things have
> changed since I last setup my current system.

This is highly a matter of personal taste, and arguments can be given
for both extreme cases of a) a huge / filesystem that holds all your
data in one place, and b) many smaller partitions, with /var, /usr,
/home, /usr/obj, /usr/ports, /usr/src and other directories set in
their own separate partitions.

Although this is high opportunity for anyone to flame me, I'd just
describe what I did on those two 45 Gb drives I mentioned earlier.
I made a 200 Mb /, a 1 Gb /var, and a 4 Gb /usr on the first disk,
leaving the rest for /home.  The second disk is split in two equal
parts, mounted under /c and /d, with /c holding various CVS
repositories and checked out sources, and /d is the 'playground' full
of mp3, and other random downloads I've made.  Now, after about a year
and a half later, I'd probably join /c and /d with /home using ccd(4)
or vinum(8) to a large /home, but I'm too lazy to dump/restore
everything using tapes.

--=20
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/