Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:35:33 +0200
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, gahr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [BRAINSTORMIG] name of the variable for passing command line options via make

On 2012-09-25 13:54, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2012 12:42, "Pietro Cerutti" <gahr@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-Sep-25, 00:15, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One of the missing thing since we switch to OptionNG is a reliable
> ability to
>>> pass options via command line that would override make.conf and config
> file
>>> options.
>>>
>>> Here is an implementation that do work:
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/OVERRIDE_BLA.diff
>>>
>>> Now OVERRIDE_SET/UNSET doesn't seems to be the best name :)
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=170180
>>>
>>> Here are other proposition from me:
>>> LATE_SET/UNSET
>>> CMD_SET/UNSET
>>
>> WITH / WITHOUT
>
> I thought this was a joke, but thinking about it, this is the best idea IMO.

I agree, but silently thinking OH NO! this brings us back to the discussions
from a view months ago...

If I understand correct the LATE_(UN)SET parameter can be used inside the port
after including bsd.port.options.mk (where I really miss it) and CMD_(UN)SET
from the command line.

I'm fine with the naming if we can get them in, and as long we do not force
the users to use "OVERRIDE_SET/UNSET" monsters on the command line.

--
Regards,
olli