Date:      Fri, 05 May 2000 12:46:25 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMANDA and chio(1)

>I am trying to get AMANDA 2.3.0 to work with our tape jukebox. To be

I would not advise using amanda 2.3.anything at this point.  It is
ancient.  Also I would not advise using a "port" for amanda.  In my
opinion, providing a port for amanda is a huge disservice.  There are
just too many things that need to be configured for your local
environment at build time.  I fail to see how a port is going to get
this right.  If you're going to use amanda (which I think is a great
backup system) I would suggest building it from the source.  There is
a learning curve to deal with, but then you will understand how it
works and know how to fix it if/when something goes wrong.

If you're going to use amanda on FreeBSD I would strongly suggest using
at least a 2.4.2-whatever version or newer, with chg-scsi.  You do not
need X11 (if you build from source).

-Mitch, (happy amanda user for over 2 years)