Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 21:02:24 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, phk@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org, davidg@Root.COM, paul@isl.cf.ac.uk, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning

>> > I didn't see a bump, but as a result of this change, it should be.
>>
>> So instead of said binaries failing catastrophically on a link
>> error, they just fail to find the library in question and fail
>> catastrophically on a missing library?
>>
>> I somehow fail to see the point.

>So do I.

The point is that it fails cleaner if the library is missing.  I just
tested this.  I removed strhash.o from libc.so and tried running a
version of dmenu that was linked while strhash.o was in libc.  dmenu
runs OK in the empty directory /tmp. but in the dmenu directory it
runs long enough to mess up the tty mode and then exits when it tries
to call an nonexistent function.

>This will make >ALL< 2.1 binaries fail on a 2.0 system, leaving the
>version number as it was would only have a few 2.1 binaries (as of yet
>nonexistent ones) fail on a 2.0 system.

The ones that call the libraries that I listed in previous mail (mostly
curses-based apps) have to fail, but there's no need to have the ones
that are only linked to libc fail.

>revert please.

I agree.  Put strhash.o in libjkh or somewhere.

Bruce