Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 11:58:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2940AU SCSI timeout problem - how come kernel.GENERIC works

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Doug White wrote:

> > I normally comment that line, but as I said, I'm having trouble with the
> > kernel, and rather than have someone tell me "have you tried the FAILSAFE
> > option", I gave it a try - I've tried it both ways.
>
> I've never seen anyone suggest it.

Doug, does that mean it shouldn't be suggested? Perhaps we can start a
thread on what the FAILSAFE kernel option means. My kernel panics (or FAILS)
- wouldn't it be sensible to enable the FAILSAFE option? If it serves no
purpose, why is the FAILSAFE option there?

> > Isn't pci0 "The main PCI bus device"? I thought it was compulsory on PCI
> > machines.
>
> It's a misquote, go ahead and leave them.  You have snd0 compiled in but
> no sound devices, though ....

Sorry, I don't understand this. Did I misquote your message? Or do you mean
to say that the LINT comment ("The main PCI bus device") is a misprint? I'll
remove the snd0 controller and try again.

Thanks

Antonio