Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:15:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        gurney_j@efn.org, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org, peter@spinner.netplex.com.au
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

 * I thought this was well known.  getcwd() is a library function with a

Well, I have heard from more than one person on this list that it was
getcwd().  I sometimes believe things you know. ;)

 * standard interface, so incompatibilities are easy to avoid, and are
 * avoided.  issetugid() is a syscall with a new interface.  It can't
 * possibly work with old kernels.  Unfortunately, ex(1) uses it, at
 * least for the termcap script.  It is surprising that it isn't used
 * more for `make world', since it is sometimes called by setlocale().

Hmm.  So it breaks somewhere between 2.2.2 and 2.2.5?  Sorry for being
slow, why is it that people aren't complaining on -stable?  There
should be someone trying to build 2.2-stable on a 2.2.2 or 2.1.X system.

At any rate, dying with issetugid() in termcap building (of all
places) is sort of ingenious.  I hope we can do something about it....

Satoshi