Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 05:10:31 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 09:21:22PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I just don't like gratuitously adding in extra GPL when there's no
> > absolutely required reason for it.
>
> 	This says it all for me. I haven't seen a compelling argument that our
> current lpd is flawed, just limited. That's not enough to justify bring
> in GNU software, even under the artistic license. Anyone who needs
> lprng's functionality can install the port, or apsfilter, or whatever
> else will work for them.
>
> 	I strongly oppose the inclusion of lprng in the base.

I just did a line count on the two different sources.

Our current lpr is roughly 13,000 lines.  LPRng is roughly 41,000
lines.  Seems like quite a bit of bloat.

One of the things I keep seeing in this thread is our lack
of auditing for lpr/lpd/etc.  I think we could probably add that
to our current lpr & friends in much less than 28,000 lines of code.

I've worked on our lpr before, and it didn't seem that
obtuse to me, so if we wanted to add features to it, it
shouldn't be that difficult.

So I think this can count as a no "I don't think we should replace
our current lpr" vote.

But I'm not against trying to add some of LPRng's feature to our
current lpr.

On the other hand, perhaps this is something that sysinstall
can deal with.  Ask the use what type of printing queuing system
they want to install.  The traditional BSD lpr, or LPRng from ports/packages
This could probably also be applied to other things, such as sendmail,
so if someone went through the work to do it, it should be generic enough
to support a variety different packages.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com