Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:11:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Re: natd howto pointer, please

Stan Brown wrote,
> 	I have a 2.2.8 box serving as the gateway to the world for my home
> 	network. I am in the process of building a replcaemnt 3.3-STABLE
> 	machine for this machine. It is connected to a canleemodem on the
> 	outside world side.
>
> 	There appear to have been substaintail changes in how all this is set
> 	up between the 2 versions.                            ^^^^^^^^

Ummm... All what? You seem to have neglected to tell us how you want
to set this up and what is not working.

> 	Could someone point me to a good tutorial on how to set the 3.3 machine
> 	up? Doing this b trial and error is a pain, since it disrupts my
> 	network connectivity.

If you have a RFC1918 net in your house, the basic things you need to
do are put the following in rc.conf,

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="<interface attached to modem>"
natd_flags="-u"

Rebuild your kernel with IPFIREWALL enabled, reboot, and you are going.