Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 23:17:59 -0600 (CST)
To:        Ruiyuan_Jiang/Advantage_KBS_at_LotusXchg@njcorp.akbs.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Run out of inodes on root file system

In reply:
>   Hi,
>
>   I got a message from my system (FreeBSD v2.10) said that / (root) file
>   system runs out of inodes although root file system has 9 mb space
>   remaining. I have a question about this problem. Should I just simply
>   delete some files from my root file system so I will get more inodes or I
>   need to do something else? Thanks in advance.
>
>   Also what is the maximum size of file system that FreeBSD v2.1 support? 2
>   GB (32 bit). If I have a hard disk has  > 2 GB (suppose I have total disk
>   space > 2 GB on a FreeBSD v2.1 system), I will mount different size to
>   different file system, i.e. / file system 300 MB, /usr file system 500
>   MB, /home/users file system 1 GB plus swap file system. Is it possible to
>   mount all the file system under FreeBSD v2.1. Thanks.

what exactly do you have going to the root partition?  The only time I have
seen that is when certain idiots added a ton of home dirs off of the root dir
[adduser remembered someone's screw-up] or when /var is mounted off of the root
with a LOT of mail accounts, etc...  It is always best to mount that stuff on
seperate partitions..

Oops... too much tequila tonight, you already said what your allocation is..
>From the size of /home, i'll assume that you have a lot of users...  where is
/var?  getting a lot of mail?  for a lot of users?  where is /tmp?  lot's of
trashfiles?  /tmp should also have it's own partition too, otherwise you risk
fragging even worse...

As fas as max filesystem, it is either 63 or 64 bits in size ever since 2.0-R.
In other words, nobody has to worry until bacteriorhodopsin-based storage is
financially and technologically feasible.

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or