Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:18:32 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA patch and others

Hi Sean,

> Any particular reason(s)?  I've just been modding files on the
> server (as you suggested) because vi doesn't work

 The terminal emulation in the OpenFirmware console is bare bones,
and not sufficient to support something like a full-screen editor.

> and I can't get telnetd to work -- it keeps complaining about a non-socket
> operation on a socket port.

 Telnetd can't run from the command line; what you need to do is enable
inetd in /etc/rc.conf,

inetd_enable="YES"

 Then uncomment the telnetd line in /etc/inetd.conf, and add the world 'secure'
to the first few pty lines in /etc/ttys to allow root login (unless you want to create
an additional account)

  # Pseudo terminals
  ttyp0   none                    network secure
  ttyp1   none                    network secure

> I'd still like to be able to get vi to run -- call it a mini-
> project for me.  Something that doesn't need to be done later
> if it gets fixed now...

 It may be possible to locate, or even come up with, a termcap entry
that would work for the OpenFirmware console, but given that there
has to be a new type of console (e.g. a syscons re-work, or a port of
NetBSD's wscons) to get USB to work, there's not much point in spending
the time on it.

later,

Peter.