Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 14:53:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Calling a Daemon from the Kernel - How?

Hi Y'all;

How do I write a program that gets called from the kernel.
I know how to write a program that call the kernel :-)
I even know (some of you may argue with this) how to write a kernel driver
that gets called form userspace :-)

I want to write a daemon (or whatever) that gets called by the kernel to do
sone dirty work I do not think belongs in the kernel.

In Linux, there is a kerneld with its attendant protocol.
In other O/S's I had a messy procedure that posts a read to the device,
waiting to be called.  As soon as it is called, it posts another READ.
One can get fancy with this, but the serializing implied by this mechanism
is not always a bad thing.

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Simon