Date:      17 Jan 2000 18:28:33 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        CGiordano@ids.net
Cc:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newpcm

Chris Giordano <CGiordano@ids.net> writes:
> Luigi Rizzo explained this behavior in the old pcm driver
> about a year or so ago.  I believe it was due to some applications
> setting a fixed buffering size with the SETFRAGMENT(?) ioctl, which
> was not implemented in old pcm and then mistakenly writing smaller
> than intended sound samples because they assumed a different buffer
> size.  I don't know if this applies to newpcm, but it sounds like
> the same symptoms.
>
> Check the -current mailing list archives for pcm0 and xgalaga.

-multimedia, actually:

<URL:http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=245121+249137+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-multimedia/19980215.freebsd-multimedia>;

I (and many others, I'm sure) would be very grateful if somebody would
implement Luigi's first suggestion, to wit:

> 1) complete the SETFRAGMENT (or whatever it is called) implementation
>    (not hard, you just need to reduce the blocksize in the dma buffer
>    descriptor and reset the dma channel;

The ioctl in question is SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT. Its semantics are
described in the "Making audio complicated" section of the OSS
Programmer's Guide: <URL:http://www.opensound.com/pguide/audio2.html>.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no