Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 05:02:55 -0600
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for the FreeBSD Book.

In article <199701290936.BAA22567@superior.truenorth.org>,
Josef Grosch  <jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org> wrote:
>Another down side to the 3-ring binder for the vendor is the ease of
>copying the docs. In a past life I did a lot of work on VAX/VMS, `round the
>time 4.7. At a number of sites I saw the client buy one copy of the
>documentation set and allow the programmers to xerox as many copies as they
>wanted. Often there were 30 or 40 copys floating around the site.

Of course the way DEC treated, and still treats, the issue of decent on-line
documentation made that more or less inevitable. If you were a reasonable
sized site you'd have ended up spending more on the docs than you did on the
operating system.

In fact I just spent more on the docs for a DEC terminal server than I did for
the software they documented, and that was one copy, so they're still doing it.