Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:58:49 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exclusive binary files

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 06:30:20PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 14:27:42 -0300 "Klaus Schneider" <klausps@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well, anybody know a way to make the FreeBSD run just binaries that I have
> > > compiled?
> >
> > In general, it's impossible. There's no way the system can know that
> > you compiled a binary. There are a number of things you could do with
> > a custom kernel and toolchain to indicate that you compiled the binary
> > (like Peter's changing of ELF OSABI), but that's just security through
> > obscurity. If someone figures out those changes and replicates them,
> > you lose.
>
> You mean using cryptographic hashes to ensure that binaries match those
> you compiled is impossible? Something like NetBSD's veriexec?

Also, the situation can be actively _detected_ using something like
tripwire or samhain.  It'd be up to the admin to step in and stop things
when a problem is detected, but at least you'd know.  And those
programs are available on all systems now.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com